Saturday, December 20, 2008

Identity Crisis

The #1 definition of a carebear according to the online Urban Dictionary is:

1. carebear

Term applied by PvP (player vs. player) participants in an online role-playing game to those players that are disinterested in PvP conflict. Usually derogatory.

Well no one can say I nor my corp didn't give adequate targets to any pirate on our last exhibition to 0.0 space.

We set out in a fleet of 7 smaller ships with the intent to do a little exploration and some ratting. We found a cosmic anomaly in the first low sec on route and went in to do a little fighting as a group before heading deeper.

If any of you have been following my blog I know what you are thinking, "Tactical error #1" and you would be correct. Seems the border systems to High sec are crawling with pirates that want a taste of fresh empire blood.

Naturally we got scanned down. The first pirate that showed up was in a Claw. Seemed to only take him a second or two to be within my firing range then be 40km outside of it. We really weren't thinking at this point as one of our ships got locked down. We all stayed back to try and help him and then something none of us have seen before popped into the fight.

The ship came in and deployed more drones then we have ever seen get deployed by a single ship before. Looked like a flashing red beehive. The pirate was flying an Aeon. Nothing like bringing a tank to a knife fight. Our guy was locked down and we all knew that there wasn't much we could do to help him. Our corp mate told us to leave while we could. Before I even got full power to my warp drive he was destroyed.

I checked Battle Clinic this morning and the kill was posted. Seems the Aeon pilot was busy last night and racked up a few kills. Not a single one worthy of taking on his ship. I would like to call him a coward as none of his opponents last night would have even scratched his paint, but this is Eve and some would say he was playing smart. He insured he would survive and looking at his history he has taken out carriers and dreadnoughts so more power to him.

Took us about 20 minutes to regroup and refit and we moved deeper into low sec. The rest of the night was not as eventful. Ratting and scanning each system our CEO finally got an unknown. This plex was huge. I couldn't believe we were taking it on in anything less then battleships with support vessels. Unfortunatly it was multi-level and we could not go back after the second stage as downtime was fast approaching. We did lose 2 ships in the plex to webbers before we were done with for the night.

On my way back to home station afterwards I had to ask myself if I or anyone in my corp were still carebears. I noticed I didn't get the adreniline surge anymore when people jumped into my areas and the loss of ships to other players no longered angered me or anyone on corp chat.

I decided to wait until my next engagement to see if I get inferiated or just annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment