Monday, December 15, 2008

Carebear goes to Null Sec

Finally after weeks of talking and little of anything else I made it to 0.0 space.

This was my first visit to null sec so I may be romanticizing it a little.

The system I chose to visit was 0-HDC8. Well at least that was my destination. It is a -.7 so I figured I should have some good ratting. I decided to take my Retribution for its speed.

The first 0.0 I came across on my travel route was only preceded by one .4 system after leaving high sec. Anxiously I jumped into the .4 expecting an ambush....Nothing. So I approach the gate to 0.0 thinking this isn't going to be so bad.

With my finger shaking I click the jump button to get into the 0.0. I jump and what do I see? About 15 ships and and a warp bubble. Thankfully I materialized on other side of gate but I didn't waste any time getting out. Looking at local I see the party is here so I head straight to the next gate. There are a lot of jumps before I get to 0-HDC8.

I get to the next gate and nothing on this side so I jump. The next system was pretty busy but there was no one at the gate so I moved along. Then the next, and the next. After a few jumps I jump into a system with no one else. Finally I was able to take a breadth. Seizing the moment I run to a roid belt to see what the rats look like.

Ahh they were beautiful. A battleship surrounded by 3 frigates. Being adventurous I charged the first frig and in a couple volleys he was dead. Then I went ahead and charged the battleship with my little Retribution. This being the first battleship I ever took on in the assault frigate I was amazed at the fact that I was beating it.

I checked local and saw a ship jump in the system then leave again. I held my breath but after seeing it go I was able to relax.

I finished off the battleship and collected the loot but in that same second I realized I had taken my eyes off local for too long and hadn't acknowledged the growing number of people. 1....2....3…..4…..5.....6 ships in a matter of seconds popped in including the guy that had visited for a second earlier.

So I thought to myself that this wasn't the best place to hang out and I warpped to the next gate. There is one guy chilling by the gate. No biggie I think as I jump through and immediately take off for the next gate. I get to the other side and there is a ship waiting there to say "Hi" and he starts to lock me. Of course I check these guys out and so far everyone in local are from the same corp with only one exception.

Then it dawned on me. I look in my upper left corner of the screen and see that I am in Band of Brothers space and apparently I am famous cause I now have a dedicated group of fans following me from system to system.

After waving back to my "friend" at this gate I notice that local is pretty busy so I just go ahead and jump to a planet else fear getting stopped by an interdiction sphere or warp bubble (yes I have done a lot of reading about low sec, but reading doesn’t replace experience and I had none). This planet must have been a local hang out because my buddy at the gate met me there only seconds after I arrived. I had already set a new course to another planet so I had barely enough time to say HI again.

After talking with a few of my corp mates in corp chat I was advised that perhaps it was time to get out. Seeing that I am recognizing a lot of names in each system I go to I agreed and the cat and mouse game officially begins. Being cautious I decided to jump in a system and would immediately jump to a planet. Each gate is being guarded by someone and each of them was trying to lock me. I didn't know how effective a strategy this was as I figured they knew where I was going seeing that my 5.0 security status may have well been a brand across my forehead that said “Carebear”.

My entourage was never more then a couple seconds behind me so I knew that eventually my luck would run out.

The last thing I needed was for reinforcements to show up at the warp bubble or a new one set up. So I turned to a different gate altogether and headed away from high sec. Took a few jumps and finally some peace. No one there. Was only a matter of time before my pursuers started to show up so I turned around and started to back track.

After a couple jumps I didn't recognize anyone in local so I start going straight to gates trying to get back to high sec. I was trying to go fast enough so that I could split the force of ships up behind me as now I figured I was a couple jumps ahead of them and hoped that they would have to split up to find me. What can I say I was being chased, I really didn’t think about the fact that other people in local were reporting my location but at the very least I had a little breathing room.

4 jumps away from safety....3 jumps, then 2 jumps. I now only had one pursuer left that was matching me jump for jump. I was coming up to my last gate before I hit that .4 system then the .5 on the other side. This was also the gate with the warp bubble.

Once I got in the system I jump to my first planet and my pursuer meets me there with a full set of drones and starts to lock me. I take off as fast as I can to another planet then start jumping from planet to planet in the system so as not to stay in one place too long. I really hadn’t planned on such a party and neglected to fit the ever important cloaking device so while I was in warp was the only piece I had at this time. My heart felt like it was going to break out of the rib cage and my hands were shaking as I knew that if I got stopped there was pretty much no way I would survive.

Let’s keep in mind, I entered null sec with full knowledge that I was probably not going to get out in this clone. But I was also not all that excited about getting shot down.

I finally was able to clear my head and realized I was at a planet almost to the side of the gate I came in on. This was my best shot to miss the warp bubble so I activated my warp drive. There are about 18 people in local and half of them have been on tour with me.

After seemingly ages I start dropping out of warp right above the warp bubble. I was thinking about how lucky I was that the warp bubble was only a small. Amazing the thoughts that go through your head as the ship slows down out of warp and there are over a dozen ships surrounding the gate. I had already programmed a route to high sec so as I approached the gate I activated my autopilot so as to jump at the very first opportunity.

I get to the .4 and head off to the .5 system. I get to the .5 with no trouble. On the other side I just sit at the gate hoping I wasn't having a heart attack. One of my pursuers pop in and I nod my head in his direction.

I minute later the other guy that I saw earlier that wasn't in the same corp as the guys I just spent the last hour with comes through the gate in his pod. I couldn't help but smile as I set my autopilot back home and I take a nice long sigh of relief as I sit back in my chair.

I figured there were a few lessons to be learned besides....FIT A CLOAK NEXT TIME A-HOLE. Yes I didn't have a cloak on and after this I realize that perhaps next time I go to 0.0 that may be the most important module on my ship.

So with this I was able to get to Null sec and finally check that off my list.

6 comments:

  1. Great story, so far I have only been an attempted target lock, but I've never been pursued as of yet. I wonder what my fist experience with that would be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also just recently took a dive into nullsec. I went in with a helios to scout the area. Cov Ops cloaks are really nice, you can warp cloaked, and between jumps you only blip for a second between the gate cloak and your own cloak. Impossible for people to track you. Found some Crokite only 5 jumps into null sec. Going to have to fit a ninja hulk to grab some of that. Its just for fun though, the ammount of time to get that out of null sec is better spent mining veldspar right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments. I have had better luck getting into territory away from BOB, but not nearly as exciting.

    Cloak = YES.

    Lesson learned from that mission. I thought I would get away without having one, but for what I was doing there in the first place I really should have had one on.

    Can't wait to find out how the Ninja Hulk experience goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i remember a hell of a cat and mouse once in 0.0 and the only reason that i got away was that I went through the wrong system and had to double back and my pursuer didn't expect that (though no one was waiting around at the gates either which was pretty lucky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha that was a very entertaining story. Your story ended better then my first venture into 0.0 Getting in was the easy part, it was getting out that I wasn't too good at. I ran straight into a fly trap and got snagged in a bubble. Fortunately I was in a jump clone and a cheep ship so no huge loss there.

    It was exciting mind you, but in all fairness when playing a game of cat and mouse, I prefer to be the cat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good story I to am a hi sec carebear in null sec. I oved out with my new corp and the alliance I joined and have having a good time for the most part but have to admit wishing there was a station in the system. The one major diffrence being im in a alliance that now ows the null sec system and were in good with alot of peeps out here.

    ReplyDelete