Monday, December 15, 2008

A Carebear PVPing?

Yes.Yes. Carebear and PVP aren't usually one in the same, however a trip to low sec will change that.

Being a touch courageous after my 0.0 run I set out to a .4 system with my Harbinger outfitted to see if I could survive an attack by a PVP'r. I had no aspiration of winning a fight, but was curious if I could hold my own against someone dead set to kill me.

I go about 5 jumps to the first low sec system near me figuring that I should no doubt run into a little trouble. Again I look at the jump button and my finger begins to twitch as I activate the gate. What will be on the other side, will my ship be strong enough? I really had no idea as for the better part of this year I have been in a battleship fighting NPC's and had never been in a real PVP fight. Seemed like a lifetime ago that I even flew a Battle Cruiser. I went to the system not expecting to come out in my ship, but still didn't relish the thought of losing it.

There were a few guys in local. One of which murder was implied in his name. Not wanting to be too anxious I jump off to a roid belt and start attacking some rats. It didn't take long before I had company.

With my overview flashing red I immediately start to lock and then it hits me. All my presets are still set to my battleship. I loose valuable time trying to get to my circle range reprogrammed. It is worse then that. I had also neglected to even check what my optimal range was with the medium beam lasers that I installed on this boat. By the time I figured it all out I was scrambled and had a full set of Hobgoblin II's stripping away my shields. Damn those things are strong, fortunately I am Amarr and really don't bother with shields. I deployed my medium tech II drones and realized that these hobgoblins were my main threat and if they attacked me much longer my armor wouldn't hold out.

Another lesson learned. The drone nerf that we experienced in the last update really hit me. It used to be that my hammerhead 2's could somewhat easily take out anything. Not anymore and my hammerheads were having a heck of a time.

At this time my foe was only about 4000 meters away from me. Nothing like realizing that you set up your ship wrong right smack dab in the middle of a fight. I should have put on pulses and worse then that I knew I should have put on pulses but old habits are hard to break. I like my beam lasers.

I look at his ship and knew he must be laughing as my drones clumsily take out one of his and my lasers aren't even close to being in range to fire. I fully realized I wasn't going to survive on my own but I still had one trick up my sleeve. When our fight first broke out I had our corps logistics pilot cloaked 65km away just in case. Hey don't judge. First thing I learned in Boy Scouts was be prepared and having failed that portion of this fight I had to call in backup.

I could just about hear my opponent swearing through his pod as the logistics uncloaked. He had 30 seconds to beat me and after that I would have 3 tech 2 remote reps on me making any damage he did a waste of isk.

Wish I could have seen his eyes when he saw her uncloak. It was "on" now. My buttons were optimized and my ship was faster and getting to optimal weapons range. I redirected my drones to attack his ship and had my lasers burning away.

Then I got the call. "Ummm, the bogie is firing on me" my logistics pilot shouts on the coms. 65KM away, I mean come on there is no way she could be taking damage. This guy got as close as 700m from me and was firing missiles with no problems so I figured at 65km my guy should have been safe. I still have a lot to learn about other races and weapons in Eve. My long standing belief that nothing existed outside of Amarr was rapidly fading.

This battle was falling apart in front of me. This was my first survival test and I was not doing so well. "Get Out" I shouted. The logistics was halfway through her armor at this time. "Get Out before he scrambles you".

During this I had managed to get out of range of his warp disruptor as well so we set coarse for the nearest gate. I took another big sigh of relief as I hit the jump button.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, great post. Very thrilling to read, and very informative. The more of your posts I read, the more I realize I'm not ready to venture into lowsec yet.

    I will have to look you up in-game. I would love to join a corp that protects their own. Too many of them are just "every man for himself".

    I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete