Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Even Can Pirates have a Place

There are differant classes of players in eve and each class has moderats and radicals. One such breakout is described by Andis in this post. It is about a radical/psychotic carebear. The kind that makes the rest of us look like crap. I understand why pirates do what they do and being a mission runner I understand why we do what we do.

The game takes all sorts of players to make it work. If there wasn't the fear of a gate camp everytime I jumped into low sec or the fear of getting chased by pirates in null sec the missions would mean very little and I would have gone back to playing other games.

I find it hard to say this but even the lowest form of player in this game has a spot. The infamous can pirate. These pirates jump in on miners and steal ore from their jet can. They try to get you to engage and when you do they can ussually take you out fairly quickly. This trick only works on newbs that don't understand the game. The can pirate generally is in a tech 2 frigate and when the young miner reads the description they don't get past the word "frigate" and immediatly think that they can take it out for stealing.

Yes, I am just as guilty as the next newb for falling for this trick. Back what seems ages ago when I got my first battleship my mistake was I came to the aid of another corp mate that fell victim to this theft. I quickly realized that a battleship was no good against a frigate at 700 meters excpecially with only three tech one drones.

I have to admit I was a little upset over this fight. I didn't cry on coms but I did step away from the game for a couple days to ponder where I went wrong. I had to go back to fighting in a battlecruiser until I made enough money to purchase and fit another BS so I had a lot of time. As disturbing the can pirate was he was absolutly neccessary for me to learn game mechanics, strategies, and tactics.

I still have an extremely low opinion of the people who commit can piracy, but I also realize that learning that lesson when I was young saved me more isk then I can count.

No comments:

Post a Comment